How to keep your dog safe from poisons
Dogs are pretty hardy animals, but even man’s best friend needs to be careful what they eat. If you own or look after a dog, you’ll know that they are very curious, especially around food (or what they think might be food!), but they can’t tell what is good for them or what might potentially be harmful.
The Kennel Club and Veterinary Poisons Information Service recently released statistics showing that almost 60,000 dogs have been accidentally poisoned in the past five years by eating everyday products, foodstuffs or substances that are poisonous to dogs. Sadly, nearly 500 dogs also died after ingesting things they shouldn’t have.
So what should you be wary off when your dog is around? The statistics show that chocolate and human painkillers are the most common cause of accidental poisoning in dogs, and slug and rat killer are the most fatal common cause of poisoning. Electronic cigarettes and palm oil are emerging as the fastest growing poison threat, but there is a wide range of other stuff that owners should be aware of and keep their dogs away from.
So what can be poisonous or even lethal to dogs? Common foodstuffs, human medicines, cleaning and garden products that can be harmful to dogs include chocolate, raisins, blue cheese, grapes, onions, painkillers, slug killer, rat killer, spring bulbs and detergents. The effects of these can range from mild stomach upset to death.
To find out which other foodstuffs or everyday products can be dangerous for dogs, check out the Kennel Club’s Dog Poisons guide.
Any dog owner who fears their much loved pet has eaten something it should not have should of course contact a vet immediately, regardless of whether or not the dog is showing clinical signs of poisoning.